Rope Light FAQs


How easy is it to work with rope lighting?
Very easy - Simply cut the rope light at one of the marked intervals with a pair of scissors. For the 120-volt version, a power cord and power connector are used at one end of the rope light so that it may be to plugged into any standard household outlet. The 12-volt and 24-volt versions are essentially the same, but utilize low-voltage bulbs and a hard wired cord. 12-volt or 24-volt must be hooked up to the appropriate power source. In all instances and end cap terminates each run.
NOTE: Always ensure that you have power turned off before cutting.

How will I know where I can cut the rope light?
On every piece of rope light, there are tiny marks or scissor icons indicating the interval where it is safe to cut.   For 120 Volt 1/2 inch rope light, these marks are every 18 inches. 12 Volt 3/8 inch is marked every 6 inches. 120 Volt Chasing 3 Wire is marked every 36 inches. And 120 volt 5 wire is marked every 72 inches.
NOTE: Cutting a rope light at another length other than the marked interval will cause the rope light to fail.

Can the rope light be used outdoors?
Yes, our rope lights can be used indoors or outdoors including applications such as architectural accent, indirect lighting, on stairs, stair rails, windows, stages, exhibits, displays, night clubs, pools, spas, patio areas, in landscapes, and much more. When used outdoors under heavy use or in damp areas, we recommend the use of our rope light glue or another silicon based sealant.

How many mounting clips should I buy?
Mounting clips are fairly inexpensive. It depends on your application, but we generally recommend one per foot of rope light or more in sections that have a sharp bend.

Can I form a sharp bend with flexible rope light?
No, you cannot have a sharp or a crimped bend. While rope lighting is flexible to nearly 180 degrees, you must maintain a small radius on your bend. Your max bend should be the shape of a narrow letter “U” rather that the letter “V”.

What type of accessories do I need?
For the majority of connections, you will need a power cord, a power connector, and an end cap to make one complete run. Enough FREE accessories are included to make 3 separate runs with every spool, including 3 inline splices for connecting 2 pieces of rope light together. Other accessories are available including invisible splices, Y-connectors, T-connectors, male to female extensions, female to female extensions, and more.

Can I change colors in a single run?
Yes you can. Using an Inline Splice, Invisible Inline Splice, or T connector, you can join two or more different colors together.

What happens if one bulb burns out?
If one bulb burns out then a section of that interval will not function.  The remainder of the rope lights will continue to operate. The faulty section can be repaired by splicing in a replacement section using in line splices or invisible inline splices and heat shrink tubing.

What are the maximum run lengths?
The maximum run for 120-Volt incandescent rope light is 150 feet. LED Rope Light has a max run of 600 feet The maximum run for 12 volt rope light is 20 feet. The maximum run for 24 volt rope light is 40 feet. If you need to run a greater length you will need to power the next set from the source rather than adding more to the end of the run.

Can the rope lights be dimmed?
Yes, for 120 volt incandescent rope light, a standard light dimmer works fine. For LED Rope lighting, and LED specific dimmer can be used. Ensure that you are using a light dimmer with the wattage capability to support the length of rope lights you wish to operate.  For example, 2 wire 120 volt incandescent rope lights use 5.5 watts per foot. 2-wire LED Rope Light consumes 0.8 watts per foot of.If you want to dim 100 feet ensure that your dimmer is rated for at least 550 watts.

Can I "hardwire" the 120-volt rope lighting?
Yes, you may hard wire your rope lighting by simply cutting off the plug and exposing the wires.
CAUTION: Electrical codes vary significantly. Before hard wiring it would be best to check with a licensed electrician that is familiar with the electrical code in your area.

Back To Top